Saturday, December 7, 2013

A Whale of a Trip

If I could read a calendar, if be on a whale watching trip right now.

Fortunately, sitting in an In N Out burger is okay. This has been one of the happiest drives I can remember with my children. For example, there was the question, "What would your superpower be if you could have it?" It's one of my favorite car games.


Tor said, "I'd turn into Batman."
Katie said, "I'd be able to move things with my mind."
Ellie said, "I'd control people's minds. . . "

I can think of few more horrifying things than my 14 year old controlling people's minds, so the game devolved from there into a discussion of how she'd not be evil, just make people do what she wanted them to do. Of course. Rolling by the beautiful hills just east of Fremont, I thought how wonderful the day had been.

Fortunately, their good moods lasted through all the songs on the radio. "Sweater Weather," anyone? It sure is cold. . .  We belted out song after song after song, and I insisted on total participation when Van Morrison sang about standing in the sunlight laughin'.

I really couldn't have asked for a better couple of hours.

So the trip is rescheduled; hope the whales wait. . . meanwhile I have supplies to finish a tree skirt, the big dog is getting an unanticipated visit to the dog park which is usually Taz's sole domain, and there's the Mayor's Christmas Tree lighting tonight downtown. Wonder if it will be worth it to bundle up and brave the cold for that. Edited to add, NO WAY!

It's not as though I don't suddenly have time.

No comments: