Friday, February 10, 2012

Moving along

Life just keeps happening here.

The soil blocks are working enough that every single one has at least one tomato sprouted. Watering them is a challenge, because I haven't found a working spray bottle. That would help. Now I'm dribbling water carefully on each.



Handfuls of kale keep pouring out of the garden.


Morning sleepy children are doing pretty well with their schoolwork.


While still finding time to do things like create a "chimp nest" about 12' up in a tree. This is the view from my kitchen window. Dishes and danger are a common mix here.


4 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

I pour water (gently) around the base of my soil blocks, and they suck it right up. If the tops still look dry, I add a bit more. If there is water left in the bottom of the container after the blocks look wet, I suck it out with a turkey baster. Much easier than constantly spritzing them with a spray bottle.

kitsapFG said...

I am struggling with the watering my soil blocks. I am doing much the same as Annies Granny but should take a hint from her and remove the excess as she does because I have issues with the plants being over moist or too dry - never just right it seems.

Stefaneener said...

Granny, I tried your idea and it seems to work okay. Tomatoes in my experience are really tough plants, so I'm not too freaked out about them.

kitsapFG, nothing like someone with real experience, is there?

Anonymous said...

My bok choy bolted a long time ago, along with my broccoli, before it even headed....but at least the bees have something to forage!

Thankfully, my cilantro hasn't followed the same path as the brasiccas.